Monday, January 23, 2006

The Secret to my Stress-Free Lifestyle

Tom Leykis is a fan of saying that nobody should ever get into a serious relationship before they are 25, and that is a bare minimum. For a long time I couldn't figure out why he said this, since I had been in a couple of them already (and was when I began listenign to his show). But as I grew older, I began to realize something: After college most girls don’t view relationships as a feeling out process, learning what you like and don’t like. No, most women will only enter into a relationship if they see a future in it. I could write for hours about my theories as to why women do this, but that is not my point today.

In college, having a “girlfriend” or “boyfriend” just means you have somebody to have sex with on a regular basis and bring to your fraternity/sorority formal. That’s it. Most people I know didn’t consider their college sweethearts marriage material, they see them more as practice so that you know what you’re doing when you actually have to be serious. Which is great. But after college, like everything else, things get more complicated. There is this little thing called “obligation’ that rears its ugly head. Some people do not seem to realize this, and insist on being in relationships for sexual access and possible monetary advantage. Alice wrote a list of advantages to being in a relationship last week, and I suppose there are some past the two I mentioned, but I felt the other side needed to be presented. To me, these far outweigh the incentives to the other.

A brief list:

1. No obligation to anybody to do anything
2. Freedom to fuck whoever you want without worrying about covering it up
3. No stress.
4. Taking vacations by yourself without being made to feel guilty
5. being able to spend time with friends of the opposite sex without being badgered about it
6. Being able to spend time with friends of the same sex without being badgered about it
7. No nagging feeling that you could probably do better
8. No nervous wreck period or playing "Check the Cell Phone"

I could go on and on and on all day. But being single in your twenties, as far as I am concerned, is the smart way to go.

3 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Johnson said...

Numbers 4-8 are the best parts about being single.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Betty said...

What I wrote wasn't the advantages of being in a relationship. I wrote all the disadvantages of being in a relationship.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger White Dade said...

I guess what stuck in my head was that last section where you offered up a possible advantage to a relaitonship. But yes, now that I re-read it, the tone of that piece was more why not.

Good call.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home