Friday, March 31, 2006

The $40 Rule is Easy to Keep When you Only Have $40

Tom Leykis, perhaps my greatest influence, often speaks of the The $40 Rule. This rule, for those who are too lazy to follow my link, states that a man should pay no more than $40 on a date for him and his date combined. Actually, she should be the one paying. Impossible, you say? Go to dinner at Macaroni Grill, don’t get drinks, an appetizer, or dessert, and you will find that you may even have enough left over for condoms on the way home. The trick, says Leykis, is ordering first and eating beforehand. This way you will not be hungry, and most likely not order much more than a bowl of soup. And we all know no woman will order more food than you that is not a complete pig. And if she is a complete pig, you really shouldn’t be on a date with her in the first place. The point is, if she really likes you, and is not just using you for food, drinks and whatever else you decide to buy her, it won’t really matter where or what you are eating, but that you are spending time together. Call it cheap, I say it’s looking for deeper meaning.

For years, I stuck to this rule like glue. I was damn good at it, and I took such pride in telling people how I never blew money on women. Actually, it was usually the other way around. Recently, a funny thing happened. I got this crazy thing called “expendable income.” And I realized, it is really easy to stick to the $40 rule when you are constantly flat fucking broke. But when your bank account is regularly in the four figures it becomes much more difficult to not start blowing cash on a date. Considering that I regularly spend $85 on a night out on myself, limiting myself to $40 for two people is becoming impossible. It’s kind of like the unattractive poor guy saying he’d never cheat on his wife. Sure, its easy when you never have the opportunity. Lets see what happens when you win the lotto.

The last few dates I have been on I have lost track of how much money I spent. This was not in a vain attempt to impress the girl, jbut rather in an attempt to keep myself entertained. And by entertained, I mean drunk. Perhaps this is because I am dating boring women, or perhaps it is because I have a much more carefree spending attitude than I did previously. But any way you cut it, the $40 rule has gone completely by the wayside.

So I apologize to Father Leykis, I have strayed form the path. My date spending is almost as out of control as my non-date spending, and it needs to be reeled in. The funny thing is, when I have gone out with a girl I really liked, I haven’t spent as much. Maybe I am more concerned with finding out if she really likes me, or perhaps I just don’t feel the need to order that fifth Jack and Coke to get myself through the evening. I’m not sure. I do know this, though: the next date I go on, I am bringing $40 in cash and no cards. Okay, maybe a gas card but that’s it. Because if a lady can’t appreciate me without being plied with alcohol or wooed with a fancy meal, she probably isn’t worth my time anyway.

Believe it or not, despite what I may go on and on about on this blog, if I am going to bother taking a girl on a date, it means I probably like her and enjoy her company. If I want to find a random girl to sleep with, I will stick to going out in groups and finding someone to take home. When it comes to actual dates, it is not ALL about sex. ALL about sex. If we get to date three and it ain’t happening, I figure I am probably being used for burgers at chain restaurants and no further plans are made. Because I’ll be goddamned if I’m going to Rule #2.

15 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Anonymous No Fags in Tally said...

Don't you mean it not all about gay sex. You're a freaking homo. I want to know if the girl likes me. FAG!!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Tara said...

A guy I went out with had a problem with my trying to pay for my own coffee when we met at a coffee shop.

There's this uncomfortable moment on a date. I don't want to show up on a date without any money and I feel weird assuming that the guy's going to pay for everything. Therefore I don't go on many dates. Lol..That's not the whole reason, but it's one of them.

The $40 dollar rule is pretty good, though. It helps hold people back (unless, of course, you bring a debit card, then the temptation is back). And yes, I was too lazy to open those links.

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No fags in Tally? How do you explain Chris Rix? I believe the 7th floor crew fucked him about 5 times...

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous J said...

How about FSU WR De'cody Fagg?

Also...HILARIOUS comment Anon!! 5 times in 4 yrs? Now THAT'S what I call getting mudded

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous poor Greek Girl said...

Tom Leykis hasn`t seen the inside of a woman`s panties since he last spent 40 dollars on a date.

Denny`s is perfect for you and your white chicks. Anything more is excessive.

Kisses, getting ready.Had to check you out. It must be a white thing, the cheapiness, and a bit of the Jew in you. Really, if you`re worried about spending more than 40$ dollars on a date then you should just stay at home and pleasure yourself.

Now I reaaaaaaly have to go.`I hate to love you, but I do..People are waiting for me, thinking I am writing something important, and I`m just cybermasterbating.tee hee. tee hhee hee.
kisses

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger angel, jr. said...

Yeah, I completely see your point. If you have to make it thru an insidiously boring evening, then you might have to pile on the alcohol.
Once you start seriously dating a girl however, I think the $40 rule kicks in. You do stop going on expensive dates, except for special occasions. And if she becomes your girlfriend, may even pay for a night or two out.
But maybe the $40 a date rule only applies for guys who have more than 3 new dates a week, otherwise splurge a little, most folk deserve it.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger angel, jr. said...

P.S. I was too lazy to open the links, mainly because I already enjoy reading what you have to say. Why bring in other sources?

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous nicole said...

That's what I like about you, Dade -- you always know how to make a gal feel pampered!

Eric is probably the only guy I've dated that's been ABLE to consistently pay $40 for dinner. I sure knew how to pick 'em back in the day. Heck, my prom date ordered a glass of water and a baked potato for dinner. Yet when the check came he claimed he didn't have enough money for it.

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger MonkeyPants said...

See, here's the problem with Tom... he/you need to clarify that these "rules" are for getting laid. These are not rules for how to treat a woman you actually like. There's a big difference. Because then if guys follow TL 101 rules as a general dating guideline to ALL women, nice girls get treated like dirt. I think a better rule to follow is "how would I want my mother or sister treated? What would my father do?" Again, this is with girls you like. If you're just out to get laid, by all means -- follow Tom. And if a girl is stupid enough to fall for that shit, she's not worth your time/money anyway.

It is scary when you hear his listeners worship him and think this is how all women should be treated. Believe it or not, there are girls out there who won't let you spend a fortune on them, but also won't jump into bed with you right away because they'd like you to actually respect them.

ahem. Thanks for listening.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger White Dade said...

NFIT - J stole my thunder. Sorry

Tara - That moment is uncomfortable. BUt i've just accepted that I have to pay,at least the first time.

Anon - Chris Rix? He got fucked my a l;ot more than the 7th floor crew.

J - Yeah, J. NFIT really should have thought that throught before using a nome like that.

GG- Have a fun night. Leykis gets his share, but he'll be the first to admit it's only because he's rich and famous. I would guess he spens more than $40 on a date, though, sicne he makes that much in about 30 seconds

Angel - Thanks. The question I think this raisaes, and I have often wondered this myself, is at what point do you start splitting checks? I tinhk the second date after sex, but that's just me.

Nicole - So I'm guessingn your date was not the burger-flippin balla that a lot of guys were in HS?

MPants - Can I just say that in the umpteen times I have menitoned Leykis on this blog you are the first person to comment who was familiar with 101? Thank you. That year in LA must have been fun. And Tom is the first to point out that those rules are for getting laid. I suppose I should too.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Oh and that burger you used for this posting looks really good.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger the belligerent intellectual said...

I guess the question is: At what point so you decide whether or not the girl is worth more than $40 per date or not? I mean, for the first couple of dates it's a useful tool to gague her interest in you and not what you're willing to spend on her - but at some point she's going to want a bottle of wine with dinner, you know?

Also, are the roofies factored into the $40?

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous poor Greek Girl said...

I had a really weird night-and fun. So, I was at this bar, hanging with my other sexy non white friends, hate hanging out with 'white chicks' cheap , they drink recycled beer and can't hold their lick her.So I'm sitting at the bar nursing my free drink (courtesy of the house) when along comes this Brad and asks, politely if he can BUY MY DRINK f-r-o-m me.It was close to closing time and gf (white ASHLEY, was one drink shy of giving him mouth love, well I assume...I look at him look at my drink look at her, and say, 'sure, 5 bucks please"..the guy bought MY FREE DRINK
for 5 bucks
to give to his girlfd, a drink I had been nursing for over 30 an hour. imagine a 'nursed drink, sweat, lipstick ring, Greekfinger germs, and the ASHLEY drank it, she drank it, . She encouraged him to buy it from me, no mistake. I was going to leave it behind..She THANKED ME, for selling it to her bf.
I could have sold it for at least $8 but I drank most of it and most of my DNA + CNN was on it...
Cheap white guys+their equally cheap girls.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger MonkeyPants said...

I used to listen to him until I realized that most of his listeners didn't get his schtick either -- then it just became scary. Lots of callers saying stuff like, "Thanks Tom! I used to respect women but now I treat them like whores! You're the best! Blow me Tom!!!"

Oh, and it was 7 years.... ::sigh::
I do kind of miss Flash Fridays though...

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger White Dade said...

Tara - I really hope my blog has not encouraged you to eat junk food

Dan - No, the roofies are not factored in, Since they are purchased well beofrehand I consider that a sunk cost.

GG - You and JenJen - Did oyu have the same writing teacher. I enjoy your styles but they are quite distinctive. I have an email on the side, there. Feel free to use it.

MPants - You know, this Firday is the first Flash Friday of the year, too. Sadly, I was never flashed in two years.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home