Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Simple Pleasures

Days like today are easy. Tara tagged me and so now I am supposed to write a list of 10 Simple Pleasures that I have. Good. NO pressure to be creative or witty or write anything of any worth. Just ten things I like doing that don’t require a whole lot. Perhaps “Blog posts I don’t have to think about” should be #1. Or not.

  1. Ephedra fueled workouts. For those who have not done it, it makes you feel like the king of the world for about two hours while you lift large amounts of weight and stare at yourself in the gym mirror. Then you sing along with whatever is on at the gym, even if you hate the song. And the crash just gives you a nice peaceful nap.
  1. Trance Music in the Car at Night. I call it Club Matt. Throw on some Judge Jules or Tiesto and drive up and down the Turnpike at night going about 80 (faster if I’m not in the Saturn). This, too, is especially fun after an ephedra-fueled workout.
  1. Speaking fast English to a Spanish Speaker – No greater joy than frustrating someone who has not taken the time to learn the language. I’m sure some Hispanic blogger would write the complete opposite “Frustrating some dumb gringo by pretending not to speak English.”
  1. Old Cutler Road - If you live in Miami, you know this is arguably the prettiest drive in the county save for maybe Big Cypress Preserve. And much calmer than US-1, even when there is traffic. Great, now everyone is going to join me. Sorry.
  1. Deleting Emails I Don’t Want to Read - I used to open them all up out of curiosity. Now, if I can tell that it is going to be a string of insults or an argument that will go nowhere, I just ignore it. Call it growing up.
  1. Twilight - There is no better part of the day. Period. Even on unbearably hot days in Miami the weather at this time of night is always perfect. Unless it’s raining.
  1. Marlins Games - Not so simple, but you get to see big league baseball extremely cheap. The food is good, there are never any lines, and you can park 20 feet from the entrance if you want. Just make sure you go at night.
  1. Beer Pong - I wrote a whole post on this in January, but a GOOD night of beer pong is one of the more satisfying experiences a person can have. Even when you lose, you still have a good time since you are drunk at a bar with friends. Usually
  1. Cooking - I never really do it anymore, since it is cheaper for me to eat out, but it is something I really enjoy and am fairly good at. I don’t advertise this too much since then people expect me to cook for them. Although that can be fun too.
  1. Clean Sheets - Is there a better smell in the world than a detergent-scented duvet cover? Yeah, probably. But I always seem to sleep better the night after laundry day.

Wow, that was hard. It is difficult for someone like me, who writes almost exclusively about why things suck and what’s wrong with everything, to write about positive things. Thanks for the challenge, though, Tara. Maybe I have turned over a new leaf and can rename this blog “Cupcakes and Sunshine” or something. But somehow, I doubt it.

23 Comments:

At 6:13 PM, Blogger jenjen said...

Hooked on the blog circuit today. Keeping up with you Dade. Nicely done. And aren't Marlin games that much better when the beat those doping Giants?

Question is will Mormon Joe be drunk or sober? The sheer surprise of finding out very well may be one of my simple pleasures.

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"duvet cover"? Most guys wouldn't admit to knowing what that is!

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous J said...

Club Matt? Wasn't that club located in a trendy Pearson loft? If I recall correctly it was of post-modern stylings with duct tape tubes of a/c leading up to the VIP/bed section.

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous nicole said...

Okay, I'm getting a little freaked over #6. I'd never think we could possibly be that similar!

And wasn't #10 just the cutest thing?? ;)

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Tara said...

Man, do I love the last one. It's so true, diving into bed with the smell of clean sheets is just wonderful. I have hung those sheets out to dry to save money and they smell even better.

I'm glad I hooked you up with a challenge, Dade. :D Maybe one of these days there will be a meme from me that lets you list top then simplest annoyances. I think people could relate to those too.

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger mgc said...

very funny sense of humor.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Ashburnite said...

oohh...I forgot #1 on my list.

And White Dade cooks?? You just got even better looking :-)

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Betty said...

Ah jesus, now you are an eligible bachelor? Why do your compliments get more and more complimentary? That's the first sign of a blog going down hill. We are going to have to start making up a name for your blog groupies like we made up one for the Daily Dump. I don't know if we can top DumpSluts though.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Ashburnite said...

Betty- I hope I wouldn't be considered a Dade Groupie.

Dade- I think now everyone is going to think you're all soft and cuddly. Better watch out- you don't want to lose that "I think this guy is an ass, but I'm going to read his blog just to get pissed off" traffic.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Betty said...

You do need to write something snarky. Let's remember a previous conversation where BLOG GROUPIES RUIN GOOD BLOGS. Once you become one of those Man Bloggers that panders to females- it's downhill from there. You start getting fan mail, ass, and naked pics and I stop reading your blog. Which come to think of it probably isn't a bad trade off. Naked pics = no more Alice reading my blog. based on previous experience I can't respect male bloggers and their female fans. I already had to cut TAN and the Daily Dump off my bloglines- don't make yourself next! And Hate mail is so in right now.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Ashburnite said...

wait- how does Betty know I sent you naked pics?? You said that was just between us! Or wait, was it one of the other bloggers that I sent them to that promised not to tell?

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Betty said...

Whoa, that was just a conjecture, I was saying he might get naked pics!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Ashburnite said...

Haha...he just may have already! ;-)

Come on, you know how sexy he is Betty...How could a girl NOT send him naked pics??

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Betty said...

I don't think that I fully appreciated his "sexiness" Ash, but I think that's because I was preoccupied with another jackass male blogger that weekend. But white dade is a very nice looking boy, definitely worth taking home to your mother.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Ashburnite said...

a jackass male blogger? they exist?

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Betty said...

Yeah I think White Dade spent most of his weekend trying to cockblock and talk some sense into me.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Ashburnite said...

He's a sweetheart like that, isn't he? I still need to meet him in person.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Andy said...

Wow. 11 comments between 2 people about how great you are Dade. Nice work. The most comments I think I've ever had are 9, and three of those were me. Maybe I should start lifting heavier weights.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger White Dade said...

JJ - You sick blog addicted bitch. And yes, it was fun, although Barry apparently was made aware of my presence and skipped his 3rd consecutive Marlins-Giants game I attrended.

Anon - Most guys donm't admit to a lot of things I admit to.

J - That was the Original Club Matt. I stole the name and opened my own.

Nicole - I'm getting cute? Maybe Alice is right.

Tara - Yeah. I'm afraid being nice has now soiled my reputation.

Mgc- Are you from Vallejo? Oh, I just love that place.

Ash - I like to think so. It is so nice to be apprecited once in a while.

Betty - I spent the whole weekend cockblockeing? You're right, I AM terrible at that. And I had my own agenda to worry about anyway. And, yes, I will try and work a little more misogyny into my posts. I was trying to steer away form that since the blog was getting to be a little too gender-war oriented. And that piece about bartenders wasn't exactly cupcakes and sunshine.

Andy - Try offending people a lot. It works wonders.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Johnson said...

Tyler Durden: Do you know what a duvet is?
Narrator: It's a comforter...
Tyler Durden: It's a blanket. Just a blanket.

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Sober Mormon Joe said...

I almost bought some wine coolers last night, beer tastes like shit. I went with my regular vitamin water instead.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger jenjen said...

SSSSWWWWWEEEET!.....Once again, predictably Sober! Yes!

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea that The Care Bears bedding collection was available in a duvet! How lovely and progressive.

MVTT

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home