Friday, August 18, 2006

Frat Boy Friday

Remember in college how you used to wake up on Friday after a rough night out, drink some beer, do some dumb shit, drink some more, then go out partying again? Oh, wait, that was my Friday.

I got a call about 10 this morning form my boy Aaron who was like “Dude, we should totally build an ice luge for Saturday’s party.” There’s a phrase I haven’t head since 2001. Oh, wait I went to University of Miami. I’ve never heard a phrase like that ever. So I am now making up for all the frat boy time I lost going to a small expensive private school.

We took Aaron’s Saab up to Home Depot (or Depot De Casa as it is known on Calle Ocho), completely ruined his nice pristine leather interior with 13 cinder blocks and three pieces of plywood, got made fun of my no less than five separate people saying “Hey, nice truck!” and “You brought the wrong car!” and “Something unintelligible but definitely insulting in Spanish!” then proceeded to roll back down Calle Ocho with a 2 by 4 sticking out of the sunroof and some plywood sticking out the truck. Classy or trashy, I can’t decide.

The rest of the afternoon was spent drinking Miller Lite, listening to Sublime and building an ice luge for the Saturday Night birthday bash. Again, for those of you who did not go to college, an ice luge is an extremely large block of ice with a groove melted down the middle through which shots of hard liquor are simultaneously poured and chilled. The block of ice is tilted at a 45-degree angle and the shot is poured into the awaiting mouth of the drinker at the other end. I’ve never done it but my friends who went to Big State Schools tell me it’s fun. The thing is damned impressive and ready for the 300 pound block of ice we will be going to purchase tomorrow morning. I consider this a feat of engineering on par with the Grand Coulee Dam and the great Pyramids. And what better way to spend a hot weekday afternoon than shopping for Ice-Luge making materials, drinking, and planning a keg party. How old am I turning again? Who fucking cares?

It is painted black, green and orange in the sprit of the great University of Miami. I tagged it with both 305 AND 786 (OVERLAY, mothafucka) and the left side has D-A-D-E written out over four of the cinder blocks. There are various other obscenities spray painted throughout, but I think it should impress out guests. And if not, who cares? It’s my birthday and I like it. I would show you all pictures but my camera phone is acting up again. I hope you all have a weekend as relaxing and fun as my week has been. The overgrown frat boy is turning 21 for the 7th year in a row, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

13 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Anonymous MiamiGringo said...

Ha ha, awesome man! You're only as old as you feel, and don't let anyone tell you any different.

Although, come Sunday morning, with that setup you've got, you'll probably feel pretty damn old.

Have fun!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger jenjen said...

Ha Qbert!
What a f'n 'real genius'!

Enjoy the holiday....pictures and pictures boyz, card season is just around the corner you know.

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous adoptedirishblonde said...

Happy 21st!!!! Sounds like a blast! You'll have to bring us old folk some pictures when you're in Sea-town.

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Feuer the Destroyer said...

You know what the luge desperately needs? CUP HOLDERS. We'll have to make a pit stop at Pepboys on the way back from Jewish Icetown.

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger angel, jr. said...

Happy Birthday buddy!!!
It's your birthday and you are allowed to say how old you are going to be without explanation.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Manola Blablablanik said...

Happy Birthday! I want to see a photo!

 
At 3:55 PM, Anonymous alesh said...

ah um does this mean youre not going to the blogger gathering?

a good friend is in from out of town, so I have a legitimate excuse to miss it, so whatever, but??

re the ice shooter: we need a fucking picture of this contraption.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Raincouver said...

Happy birthday Dade! That sounds pretty cool, a lot more fun than the "martini luge" I witnessed at a business function. It wasn't exactly the party crowd, if you can imagine.

And "Depot de Casa"... that's hillarious! And the SAAB truck... I could actually had a mental picture. Just brilliant.

Looking forward to the pics of this "contraption", as Alesh puts it.

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous melissa said...

Happy Birthday! The next time you're in town I'll give you a birthday hug...but I'll need a running start and maybe a trampoline and then a commitment from you that you'll catch me...have a good one!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Happy Frickin' Birthday WD!!! Hope your 7th 21st birthday kicks ass as well, if not better than the first one.
If I was down there, you would be getting a home made chocolate cake!!! With sprinkles!!!! Instead I will make it up here and share it with all of my friends in your honor.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Johnson said...

"Oh, wait I went to University of Miami. I’ve never heard a phrase like that ever."

Dude are you serious? Never an ice luge. I could've sworn we went to a party or two that had one. I know Klueb and I went to at least 3 or 4. Maybe you weren't there I guess. Happy b-day! I'll give you a buzz this week.

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Artemis said...

I'd jump out of your cake if I only I knew where to find it...
Alas, you'll have to settle for a hearty birthday wish via blog.
Happy Birthday!

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger White Dade said...

MG - Suprprisngly, after 3 Tylenol and 2 glasses of water before bef, I woke up at about 10:30 ready to rock and roll.

JJ - NO, a different aaron, actually. QBert has been MIA since he drove home Friday from Snakes on a Plane.

Rachel - I really don't tihnk I have any pictures, but thank you.

Feuer - Yeah, about those cup holders....

Abgel - Thanks.

Manola - I'll try and take one today. Although it looked much cooler with the ice on it.

Alesh - No, I went anyway. I just went before this party.

raincouver - Martini luge? Wow, why not just go the whole way then?

Melissa - Thanks. I'm holding oyu to that.

Rachel - A lot of freaking good that does me.

Johnson - Yeah, I must have missed those.

Artemis - Unless you are about 6 inches tall that would have been impossible.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home