Monday, August 21, 2006

Free Wine and Food Isn't Really THAT Bad

On The C, it was not. But then again, it would have been difficult to duplicate that particular event given that it had been held, you know, in my honor. But I will say that I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout at 8 ½ on Saturday for the big Wine-sponsored blogger event.

I showed up a little after 7, surprised to see that I was not the only person there within an hour of the prescribed starting time. Of course, I knew nobody in the room and, surprisingly to some of you I’m sure, I am terrible in situations like that. Like, absolutely terrified of approaching people I don’t know, especially when I’m sure half of them probably think I’m some sort or racist zealot to begin with. And since Erik, the only person I’d talked to on the phone that day, was still looking for parking, I was forced to down as much free red wine as possible to keep myself amused. So might I suggest for the next one of these that someone decides to throw a little helpful tool we call NAMETAGS. That way I’m not standing alone in a room going “Man, I’m like the youngest person in here by 8 years. Awesome!”

Not that I really needed one, though. After Erik showed up we bellied up to the bar and began what we knew would be a long night of drinking. Within a few minutes we were approached by MiamiBeach411 (who I am not linking on purpose after he made fun of me for explaining the linking process to him “Oh, is that how linking works? Thanks?” he told me. Look, it was my birthday. Leave me alone) who said “Excuse me, is one of you guys White Dade?” Being the attention whore that I am, I piped up and said “Yes,” waiting for the inevitable wine glass or blunt object to be hurled in my direction. But he, along with everyone else I met, was extremely polite. I was approached a few more times by people asking if I was White Dade, I guess since me and Erik were the only 2 white guys in the room under about 35. It wasn’t hard to tell.

Amy from Miami Beach was true to her word and was “The Mormon Girl in The Red Dress.” Despite the fact that she looked way more Spanish than she did Spanish Fork, she was still easy to spot by the “I was brainwashed at age 7” look that even Mormons who hang around with Jews and Fags still seem to have. Amy was a delightful individual as she, Erik and myself compared “Miami is not at all what you think it is when you move here” stories. I found that this was a common thread among transplants to the area: Love it or hate it, Miami is absolutely 100% different than what you see on TV and movies, and it’s always good to see that everyone agrees with me.

I also had the pleasure of meeting Maria, the creator of Manola BlaBlaBlanik, who claims to still be working on a post based on my spreadsheet called “The F-List.” But I’ll believe it when I see it. And Rebecca from GreenerMiami and her husband also stopped by to tell me hello. I was about 9 Glasses of wine into the party by then, but I do remember Rebecca sharing my confusion as to why anyone wouldn’t want to come to this event.

The poor folks at Stormhoek tried in vain to give some sort of presentation about their winery about 90 minutes into the open wine bar. What I think they failed to realize is that a bunch of drunk bloggers are not going to shut up for more than two minutes to listen to anything, unless, of course, it’s about them. Some guy form “The Apprentice” spoke, but I had no fucking clue who he was and I think pretty much talked about how hot the girls at Penn State are with Erik during most of his presentation. Seth Gordon FINALLY realized that we all just wanted to talk about ourselves at that point, and decided to have us go around the room and introduce ourselves and our blogs. When it was finally my turn I looked up from leaning on the bar and said “Hi, I write blog called White Dade.” And a collective groan or “ooooh” came up form the audience, I couldn’t tell. “It’s pretty much about the novelty of being a white guy living in Miami.” Which garnered a little chuckle. Seth was nice enough to tell everyone he enjoyed my tips on sex and dating to which I replied “yeah, because when I try and write about sports or politics I have no fucking idea what I’m talking about” Which got a bigger laugh. Well, at least they found me entertaining in person.

At the end of the night, Social Diva and her husband came up to me and said “you seem like an outgoing person. How are you?” I don’t even think they read White Dade, but anybody who buys me a Hennessey on the Rocks for my birthday is okay in my book. Later, Seth and I both commiserated on the inexplicable backlash to the event, as he seemed as confused as I was. Eventually, the party ended and Erik and I went and had a slice at Rustica before he came and attended the Ice Luge bash. Which I think was a welcome change for him from lawyer parties on Brickell. At any rate, I look forward to meeting those of you who didn’t show up, for whatever reasons you had, at the next blogger get-together. Ask anyone who was there, I am extremely nice in person and gracious to anyone who wants to come up and say hi and/or buy me a drink. At least, I am after 11 glasses of free wine.

Oh, and a special thanks to Tara for sending me a birthday card. Best gift a blogger ever gave me on my birthday. Except for maybe that Hennessey form Mr. Diva.

16 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Rebecca Carter said...

I found it to be a very very strange event, but that was no fault of the bloggers. Small showing on the bloggers' part, but everyone was very nice. Even you, White Dade!

Thanks for the link, though I hope you don't strip it away when I tell you that whole linking thing was one of the funniest parts of my night.

I have to admit, I haven't been a reader in the past, and didn't know it was your bday. Hope it was great!

Now we should really get ALL of the bloggers together. We need another sponsor.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous The Brewer Patriot said...

You summed up the evening perfectly. Birthday party included. Good times all the way around. However, you failed to mention how good the appetizers were at that place. Man, that fillet mignon was great. Too bad the trays were usually empty by the time it got to us.

Hooray for ice luges and flip cup!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Raincouver said...

Sounds like it was a good time!

I love the way that guy tried to do a presentation on the winery with a bunch of bloggers. Hillarious!

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Betty said...

I am personally offended for Kate and I. We "serenaded" you on your voice mail, all Tara got you was a bday card. Whatever Matt.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Manola Blablablanik said...

Ladies and germs, I can personally testify that Mr. WD -- Miami's own shock jock blogger -- is quite nice and amicable in person!

It was great to meet you! And be patient with the post ... like a good scotch, some things require time!

Now be a sweetheart and post us a photo of the ice luge!

PS -- yeah Erik, how about that filet mignon!

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous rumandpopcorn said...

Well, I'm sorry to see the Miami blogger event didn't raise the bar for such things. I do expect better a much better time was had at the birthday party. I suspect we'll hear about that soon.

Since I have no feelings and therefore don't do cards or serenades, I'll say happy birthday here, or more accurately, the sixth anniversary of your 21st birthday. Congratulations. Glad you survived.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

How many people actually showed up?

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger T. said...

Interesting that bloggers skew so much older down there. I'm 32 and here in the NY blogosphere I feel like I'm freaking ancient.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger T. said...

Oh, and does anyone have pictures of your blogger get-together?

 
At 6:47 PM, Anonymous MiamiGringo said...

Keep us posted on when the next one is that you know of WD. I may get a chance to show up.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger angel, jr. said...

They should have all bought you drinks for your birthday!!!

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Ashburnite said...

Damn...I wish I lived in Miami!
Glad you had a great time.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Sofi said...

Hey, happy birthday. again. I forgot to sing the Mormon birthday song to you. It was great to finally met you in person. The blogger party was definitely on the odd side. My two questions would be: Why was The Apprentice there, and who the fuck was up the loud, black dude?

I love that you know Spanish Fork.

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Tara said...

Okay well I don't have your number so I really couldn't serenade you over the phone, but I'm glad you liked the ecard and I did provide a virtual serenade on here. :D

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger White Dade said...

Rebecca - I'm glad that the highlight of the evening was at MY expense. Outstanding.

Erik - Yes. the food was phenomenal. but I figured I wouldn't rub that in for those who missed out.

RC - It was quite the disaster.

Alice - sorry I forgot about you. Although all I got on my VM was Kate saying "We were going to sing to you but I can't find Alice"

Manola - No pictures of the ice luge because I couldn't find any. Next time.

Ali - thanks. The B-Dayt party was outstanding although apparently I left smelling like a Bar Mat.

Rachel - I don't know. Maybe 100?

T - Yeah, it is a MUCH older crowd down here. that was the first thing that struck me. MiamiBeach411 does, but it's like 2 shots and none of any bloggers.

MG - That owuld be good. then we can both get mistaken for me.

Angel - Goddam right,Angel. Goddam right!

Amy - I spent a week in Spanish Fark once. And yes, I did spell that with an A and I'm sure you know why.

Tara - That's okay.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

Happy Birthday! I am also surprised you know about Spanish Fark. I actually lived there a few times in my gypsy life.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home