Tuesday, November 14, 2006

DC Diary Part 2 - College Park is a Shithole and Drinks with DCB

Saturday, after about 4 hours of drunken sleep, I managed to find the Metro stop in College Park, take the train to my car in DC, drive to Fairfax then back to College Park all with only the help of a Rental Car Map. So don’t ever question my sense of direction. Ever. The Maryland game was fun, but I must say that every single student on that Campus looked about as happy as your typical Chain Gang worker. And boy did they take it out on us UM fans. I supposethey must be jealoussince, you know, they go to Maryland. Not only were we booed and screamed at for no reason pretty much all afternoon (which I could understand at a rivlary game like Florida State or even VA Tech, but Marlyand? Aside form that great Frank Reich comeback of 1985, there really ain't much you got on us), but poor Johnson got eye gouged by a fan after the game. The only highlight, for me at least, was getting to meet another fan (this one a UM alumna) at halftime. Apparently she wanted to see what I looked like after I “talked so much shit.” She seemed thoroughly disappointed. My friend Andy asked me who she was when I got back to my seat and I explained to him, to which his response was “Man, I gotta start writing a blog.” Miami lost 14-13, for those who didn’t see the score. The Maryland fans rushed the field after failing to cover the point spread. Class act you guys got going on up there, class fucking act.

I got a little too drunk at my cousin’s keg party in College Park on Saturday and was a no-show to meet up with YK and Roosh (aka DC Bachelor). So Sunday night Roosh went to the trouble to drive 45 minutes to meet me in Arlington for a pitcher of Bass. He gave me some great pointers on improving my content (like it needs improvement! HA!) and we discussed our various methods for meeting girls. Turns out he loves dark, Latin girls, and has no attraction at all to white blondes. Hmmm, sounds kinda familiar, huh? But I don’t see anyone calling Roosh a racist. Whatever. He’s a pretty intense guy, if you’ve ever met him, but a lot of fun. Turns out we also share the view of valuing experiences of possession, and not working to support consumerism. But that is waaaay too deep for this blog.

All in all, it was a very eye-opening trip. Despite the lousy car, the Miami loss and the ticket, it made me realize that there a lot of people who enjoy what I write who I never get to meet. And most of them are bored at work. Or law school. I also realized that college park is a complete shithole, and that my cousin Jill has more fodder to make fun of me at Christmas than she has any business having. Hopefully this is a strong beginning to year two of White Dade. Thanks again to VK for being such a great host, to Ashburnite for hooking me up with that hotel in Vienna, to my cousin for letting me use her couch, and to DCB for making the trip to Arlington on a rainy Sunday night. And everyone else who I am not mentioning, you know who you are and I’ve thanked you already. You guys managed to salvage a trip that would have otherwise been an unmitigated disaster. Thanks, and I hope you can make it down here soon.

21 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't Miami lose that game White Dade?

ANON1

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Johnson said...

College Park was indeed a shit hole. If I lived there, I'd probably poke someone in the eye too. Good hanging out with you again and I had a pretty fun time at your cousin's party despite the fact that Harnik made the kitchen nearly uninhabitable. What the hell did he eat or drink before Pete and I got there?

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Match Johnson,

Don't you come from and live in C-Ville? And you are calling College Park a shithole?

That's like someone from India telling someone from Pakistan that they come from a third world country.

Hope Match is working for you.

ANON1

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Johnson said...

Yep, come from and live in C-Ville, actually a pretty nice town. I just don't like it that much because of the snotty college students here. College Park is just a dirty town

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger White Dade said...

For the record, Johnson posted his first.

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys can be like the commentors who post on the video websites...


"First, I posted first..."

"First fuckheads..."

ANON1

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger minijonb said...

Glad you had a good time with your DC hosts. I keep hearing all these amazing stories from Ashburnite and KassyK... and now you validate the hotness of the happy hour scene in that town. Cheers!

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Playtah said...

"I suppose they must be jealous since, you know, they go to Maryland."


I bet they're jealous of just about everyone, since they have a wimpy name - Maryland. It just doesn't strike fear. I'd fear a University of Miami player, or even a chess player from Russia. But anything out of Maryland? I'd probably just pat it on the head and tell it to run along and play. There you go, Maryland. Don't get your dress dirty.
:)

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

Now, now, now...

Yes, College Park is a... HELL HOOOOLE but, for us reigning from the D.C. Suburbs, it has one very valuable asset that makes it forgiveable - an Ikea closer than the one in Hunt Valley.

The Ikea even makes me forget that every year that my little brother has lived in College Park, he has had his house burglarized...

But I'll have no more of this Maryland bashing!

We're a small state, but a proud state. A state of crabs, and horseracing, and oysters, and skipjacks and crack cocaine, and Edward Norton and Jim Rouse and Sparrow's Point Chromium exposure...

And we're also the home of the Beltway... enabling WD to get from College Park to Fairfax and back with only the help of a Rental Car Map... and a circular highway.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Playtah said...

Superbee~Maryland is a very nice place. My uncle lives in that area, and I really had fun when we visited him. I just thought I'd rag on the name. :) Of course, I don't have a lot of room to talk--I live in the state that's shaped like a mitten!

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those crabs are the best! And I am not talking about the ones that Superbee's mother has!

ANON1

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"valuing experiences of possession, and not working to support consumerism."

- translation:

I'm a a psuedo-intellectual broke loser and this is my justification for being a broke loser

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Sect. 39 said...

As a very proud UMD alum, I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time in College Park. The town itself is pretty shitty, there's no denying that. However, if you go to school there you learn to love it. The campus itself is really quite beautiful (you may have only seen the part that's under construction around the stadium). But please don't hate on the rest of Maryland...if you had time to visit the suburbs northwest of DC or Annapolis you would probably think it's a very nice state. I agree with all that you're saying about rushing the field too...it's a really sad habit our students are involved in. I live in NYC now, but I was down in CP for both the NC State and FSU games this year, and we rushed the field for both games. I know our students are excited because our team is overachieving this year, but UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE should you rush the field for a team you're ranked higher than (particularly if the team is unranked). Miami has a great football history but its team just doesn't have the horses this year. It's sad that our students must think they're playing the Miami teams from the early part of this decade.

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Rachel said...

Superbee ~ You had me at Ikea. The nearest Ikea is either Detroit or Chicago. Neither are near enough to make it worth the trip.

Playtah ~ It is truly sad when we can show someone where we live by pointing somewhere on our open hand.

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger roosh said...

Hey it was great meeting you. Hopefully next year i can make it down there to experience the latinas you speak highly of.

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger White Dade said...

Anon1 - Goddam right they did.

Johnson - It was a raw burger at cousin Jill's tailgate.

Mini - Yeah, it was pretty awesome. Wish we could get soemthing like that donw here.

Playtah - The state wasn't so bad, but Cp fucking BLEW.

SBee - Yeah, I'm sure the rest of the state is gorgeous. If oyu read this, though, you'll see I am talkign about College Park and not much else.

Anon - Nice to see that someone has taken over Anon1's mantle of ripping on me now that he has moved on to riping other commenters.

Sec 39 - That town blows, man. yes, it was scenic, but it was dull as shit.

Roosh - I speak highly of them for you, but not so much in general.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger imaginaryconversations said...

I was reading this, reading the parts about cute fans and waiting for the hookup details. "Cute girls came up to me and said they were fans".... and... drumroll.. nothing. And more and more of nothing. What happened to WD? Why is he so coy all of a sudden. Since when does he not kiss and tell?

And then I remembered you have a girlfriend you're faithful to. Bummer.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger SuperBee said...

WD - The town of College Park between the Beltway (and Ikea!) and Campus is one of the ugliest places in MD. Especially this time of year.

Playtah, I used to live near "the wrist" of the Mitten. Oh, ya, hey?

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Playtah said...

Ya! Hey! Down by Coldwater and Sturgis?

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger SuperBee said...

I was referring to the Wisconsin Mitten, not the Michigan Mitten. Wrist = Madison; a better College Town than College Park. With a prettier campus. (In some areas.)

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger The Senator said...

Now that you met Roosh, you should take a moment to sit down with me. And, I can introduce you to my next door neighbor, Maria Checa. Google her.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home