Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Seger-Sterger Weekend

For the five people I hadn't mentioned it too, I spent last weekend in the Tampa Bay area going to see Bob Seger at the St Pete Times Forum. Oddly enough, not actually located in St. Petersburg, but rather in downtown Tampa. But I suppose if the Angels can say they play in LA and the Giants can say they play in New York, anything is possible. And you wonder why most kids can't locate Texas on a map. At any rate, I had been waiting for this concert since about 1996 so it was very exciting. Bob sang a lot better than I expected him to at 112, and I got to hear all the classics I had wanted to hear. I also came to the realization that while every girl whose ever heard "We've Got Tonight" thinks it's this beautiful, pretty romantic song, its actually pretty depraved. The song is basically a guy bottom-lining a girl for a one-night stand. That is the genius of Bob Seger: He makes scumbaggerey sound poetic.

Aside form a rather uneventful night out in Tampa, the rest of the weekend consisted of a rib barbecue at the home of Leo and Carolyn Sterger in Lutz. Yes, yes, the same Leo and Carolyn Sterger who gave birth to my favorite Florida State fan, Jenn Sterger. I don't talk much anymore about my interactions with the Sterger family as first of all they are rather minimal and second of all it has gotten to a point where I've sort of forgotten how I got to know them. So the whole surreal aspect of hanging out with the family of a girl I devoted more energy to ripping than anyone in the history of this blog is more or less gone. I got to meet Jenn's sister Stacey, who was understandably confused as to why I was there. Mom explained the whole thing to her and apparently her response was "Oooh. The mean guy." Yes, Stacey, the mean guy is coming over for dinner, so make sure put lots of laxative in that chocolate cake.

The Stergers have an enormous house on an equally enormous lot in Lutz, which apparently played home to many marching band parties when the girls were in High School. Leo showed me his various landscaping projects while grandma (who also lives there. Hmm, three generations in one house? You guys would fit right in in Westchester) regaled my friend with tales of growing up in the everglades. I made mojitos for everyone and we had a delicious rib dinner. They even made beef ones especially for their Jewish guest. Jenn came by for a while, and it was the first time I had seen her not done up in cowgirl attire. I will reiterate that while definitely attractive you probably wouldn't notice her twice walking around the FSU campus.

It was at this point that Jenn Sterger uttered the words that changed my old opinion of her 180 degrees. "I'm so sick of Tom Brady," she said while watching the end of the Chargers game. "He is completely overrated and gets way too much credit for his team winning." Wow, I guess she really does know a lot about sports. Turns out the whole Sterger clan agrees with her, and me, so a better portion of the evening was spent discussing how he is no better than Jim Kelly and probably the 5th or 6th best in football right now. Jenn then left for a "watching football in front of the TV" date with an undisclosed guy.

So today I went back and read the post that made this blog what it is today and I thought "Wow, this is some funny shit. But man was I offbase." And not just because she hates Tom Brady. And not just because her dad made me dinner and gave me a copy of Jackass 2. It turns out Jenn really is a pretty normal girl who lives at home and drives her drunk friends around and goes over to a normal guy's house to watch football for a date. But don't get your hopes up, guys. Even girls who are only mildly famous are still out of your league. So this weekend I learned that while I was always a fan of Leo's, I guess Jenn isn't too bad either. Looks like all those people who were telling me to shut up before I got to know her were right. This is not an apology, mind you. That post has done more for me than anything else I've ever written, and I have no regrets about anything surrounding it. But it is an admission that perhaps I spoke too soon, and that maybe, just maybe, Jenn Sterger isn't everything that is wrong with America.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the horse is dead dade. Either you have a man crush on Leo or you have a Cowgirl infatuation. Its a good thing they'd probably never let their daughter marry a jew.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger White Dade said...

I know the horse is deaed. Waaaaay dead. Sometimes I write about stuff I do, people I meet, and this is what I did this weekend. I'm not trying to get hits from this post, trust me.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow....I love that after what you said about her, both she and her family are completely civil to you..more than that, they invite you to their house. Guess she isn't so bad after all.

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's still a good idea to post about this. Your grandkids will be playmates (hehheh, i said "playmates") with Jenn's... assuming you actually want kids and grandkids.

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont get how they invite you to a bbq after you trash their daughter, but its funny anyhow.

The Tom Brady bashing is messed up though. How can you hate that guy? He is easily top 5 QB of all time and if he wins this weekend, Id say top 3. The guy wins year in and year out on a team that sticks to a game plan, lets his WRs go when they want money, and signs a bunch of jobbers to replace them. Think about it. He won an SB with David Patten and Troy Brown as starting WRs and Kevin Faulk at RB, then won with Branch and Givens when they were total nobodies (and I still think that Branch is not that great), and now he's in the AFC Finals with Reche Caldwell and a bunch of other jobber WRs!

Read my post on my blog about peopel that hate on teh Pats. I just dont get how you can hate on them when they are the epitomy of a "team". Maybe you would like Brady more if he was a big crybaby like T.O. or if he went out and got drunk and pulled guns on people like the Bengals players do?

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Jaxraider said...

Hey Dade,

I thought it was funny when Jenn told me last month you were coming to dinner...:) I am glad you guys buried the hatchet (and not necessarily in someone's back)...I only wish 1 outta every 5 people who bash her regularly in blogs had the chance to get to know her like you have...I have known her and the family for a long time now, and like you said, she's just someone who loves sports, got a great opportunity based on looks/timing/location/whatever and has been blessed with a chance to make a career out of it...a career that a lot of her critics would love to have, which is why most of them write what they do...

Glad you had fun, ya those ribs Leo makes can be awesome!! You coming up to Tally this year for the rematch? If so, let me know, we'll finally get to have that beer then, you are welcome to come by our tailgate...take care

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally with you on "We've Got Tonight".

I love Seger too.

But another song people get completely wrong is "You'll Accompany Me."

That's not romance. It's the soundtrack for a stalker.

To find a more stalker-ish song you'd need to go back through the Police's catalogue to "Every Breath You Take."

And Sting now says he wrote "Set Them Free" as a sort of penance for that one.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Johnson said...

Somebody tried to tell me that Metallica's version of Turn the Page was better than Seger's. They were immediately struck dead by lightning from Crom (if you don't get this reference WD, you too will be struck down).

I wish Seger were coming to ATL this year instead of last December. I definitely would've used one of my free plane tickets for that. Oh well, to quote the man himself, "C'est la vie"

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two additional thoughts:

A) I misnamed Sting's penance song. It's "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free".

B) The best parody version of the Police's "Every Breath You Take" was sung by Opus the Penguin, years ago, in a Sunday Bloom County strip.

The strip recounted Opus' performance at the US Festival with his tuba-enhanced version of the song:

"Yeah, every move you make
Every, uh, leaf you rake
Every dog you wake
Every herring you bake
I'll be watching yoooou…".

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Gland Jupiter said...

So the original idea needs to be amended. She the person certainly isn't all that's wrong with America, and seemingly nothing that's wrong with America. But she the Cowgirl who can achieve fame by appealing to the shallow needs of today's society is still an example of some of what is wrong with America. I'm not saying she created that fire, but she fed it.

While typing this I'm jerking off to one of her pictures. I blame America.

Jenn - call me!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Yvette said...

Ooh, I'm so jealous. Did he do "The Famous Final Scene"?

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Yvette said...

Bob Seger, that is.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

I wanna bang the hell out of her, but it's no use. Jenn and WD are meant for each other.

 
At 11:22 PM, Blogger Manola Blablablanik said...

Hey, it takes a real man to admit something like this!

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous marywho said...

What is it about you that causes dinner invites? You must have a special super power. Please, use it for good and not evil.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger White Dade said...

Ash - Or maybe it is my gift for turning enemies into friends

Mini - That would be funny

BM - I could debate oyu on Brady all you want. I am not a Pats basher, but a brady basher. I am of the mind they could have done just as well with any second tier NFL quarerback. The true test is if he could go to a losing team and make the ma winner (ala Jow MOntana in KC). Brady goes to Arizona I think they are still a 9-7 club at best. And that's WITH Edgerrin James.

Jax - Thnaks. Will do. It's probabyl 50/50 I make it up there but I"ll let you know.

David - I had never realized that before the show. Like I knew everey word but didn't quite grasp how scummy it was until then.

Johnson - That person deserved whatever they got.

GJ - Quite true. The fuss is still ridiculous but the person is okay by me.

Yvette - No he did not. Sadly

Johnny- YOu must have missed that "out of your league" part.

Manola - Exactly.

Mary - In this case, I tihnk it was the four mojitos he had at my tialgate.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home