Thursday, January 25, 2007

You Say I'm in the Wrong City, I Call it Niche Marketing

Someone recently told me I was in the wrong city to be “shopping around.” As in “Well, you don’t like Cuban girls, so you’re really in the wrong city to be shopping around.” Really? Am I? Oh, I beg to differ.

You see in business school I learned about this little thing called “niche marketing.” It may be the only part of that degree I am actually putting to good use. Niche marketing is when you target your product to a select niche in the marketplace, a small amount of people who will nearly all buy your product. In my case, the product is me and my niche is White girls in Miami.

Now, you have heard, or more likely read, me rant and rave many times about the lack of White girls here in Miami. And for the most part it is true. But here is the thing: The White girls here? They think the exact same way. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve been talking to a girl and she asks my ethnic background (a very common first encounter question down here) and they say “Wow! It is so nice to finally meet a regular American boy in this town!” See, they’re starved for whiteness too. So when you do finally meet that American girl of your dreams, she is equally happy to meet you.

So while the supply of my type of girl may be short here in Dade, the ones I do encounter are of a similar mindset. Perhaps there is not the plethora of girls here that would allow me to pick and choose as much as I’d like, but when I do reach my target market they are much more receptive to the product. And while I seriously doubt I will find the woman of my dreams in Miami, I am a novelty here. And that, my friends, can be more valuable than you can ever imagine.

14 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The White girls here?
See, they’re starved for whiteness too. So when you do finally meet that American girl of your dreams, she is equally happy to meet you.
I am a novelty here. And that, my friends, can be more valuable than you can ever imagine."

You overestimate your novelty factor since it's cancelled by the white girls' novelty factor.

Best to move to the heartland. The novelty factor of being from Miami would be huge hit with the farmers' blonde daughters there.

A.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you need to hang out in Homestead. There is no shortage of blonde-haired, blue-eyed all-American princesses down south. Might I suggest the rodeo this weekend as a good place to start?

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think he said white girls...not white trash.

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous that guy said...

The problem with most white girls down here is that they're "Fresh off the Plane". They have no idea how this city works, and they make no effort to. They complain that "back home" the clubs/people/music/bars/traffic/weather
/schools/etc...are better.

I'd rather they leave, personally.
Girl-wise, I don't usually pay attention to race, but I'd say I lean towards imports.

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Joe said...

Just another reason why you are the belt holder.

 
At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strong theory. Although it doesn't really apply up here in DC I think that this niche marketing thing is why I'm able to play above the rim when I'm traveling in other countries.

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Johnson said...

"Just another reason why you are the belt holder."

I'm going to get my title back at some point WD.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Virgle Kent said...

How many of those White Girls are Dime Pieces???


That is the true question. ha ha ha ha ha ha

 
At 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is wrong with non-american girls? If you think about it, US-bred cuban girls aren't all that different from gringa ones, if not better, spicier and less "blah".

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great post, so true.

I have to comment on this comment:

"If you think about it, US-bred cuban girls aren't all that different from gringa ones"

the hell they aren't - this cat needs to get out of Dade and actually see America

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger aikin said...

Oh, I was pissed today when I met a white girl and she told me she doesn't date white guys. She likes a little "spice," she says.

I took her for a self-hating white person, as well as several other words I won't repeat here.

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous cedar said...

You're kind of a novelty anywhere, actually.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger White Dade said...

Anon - I have considered that many times. You know the tradeoff? Living in the heartland.

Anon2 - I did the chili cookoff instead. Next best thing.

Anon3 - Either way I'm happy.

TG - Hmmm. Accents are a HUGE turnoff for me, so I've gotta disagree with you on that one. But, yes ,a lot of White girls here are alittle annoying as far as their blind admiration of the city.

JOe - The belt was Persian. So there goes your theory.

B@L - Agian, since foreign accents turn me off faster tha nseeing my grnadma naked, other countries really aren't for me either.

Johnson - Preferably sooner.

VK - A few. SoCal has a lot more of those. Of course, they all suck.

Anon - you are an ethnic girl, arne;t you. They are the only peopel I know who refer to white girls as "bloh."

Anon5 - I doubt that person is a "cat."

Aikin - I guarantee you that girl has Daddy issues.

Cedar - Awww, thanks. Of course so are peoepl with Downs syndrome.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Dayngr said...

You're right, you won't find the woman of your dreams here 'cause I'm already married. *wink

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home