Friday, February 02, 2007

Is it Money They Want, or Just Proximity?

So this weekend of super-VIP parties, models from every magazine you can name and my newfound social life in South Beach (Grove Probation week 4) has gotten me wondering something: I have been hanging out in what can best be described as “nasty” bars for the better part of my adult life, and as a result the types of girls I go home with are, well, the types of girls who frequent “nasty” bars. That is to say, not the smoking hot models you see going out in South Beach on the Travel Channel. Now, these girls are for the most part attractive, but even the best looking girl at Sandbar or Playwirght isn’t going to be much over an 8 and a half. The truly smoking hot girls are typically going to the more exclusive places. So I am starting to wonder if I had spent all my time in these more “exclusive” clubs, throwing down $14 a drink (or at least $5 per soda to mix with my charcoal-filtered vodka in a flask) if I would be going home with 9’s and 10’s instead of 6’s and 7’s.

There are two schools of thought here: One would say that these girls are so materialistic that your mere proximity to them is irrelevant unless you are throwing cash around like a one-hit-wonder in a rap video. But, hypothetically, if I had enough cash to be going to Prive (pronounced Pree-Vay) and Pearl on a regular basis, their materialism would be irrelevant since I would have the requisite “material” for which they are looking. But it is wholly possible that the men at these places are more in their league and therefore I would find stiffer competition and be wasting my money.

The other school says that, yes, by hanging around in these sorts of spots, eventually one of the hot girls will want to sleep with you. Maybe not night one, or night two or three or four, but eventually. I mean, the first several times I went out to lower-end bars I went home alone more often than not. Now, it seems pretty easy. This school of thought would imply that were I spending my time in locations with hotter girls, that is who I would end up having sex with. If you are a decent looking guy and dress well, you will eventually catch the eye of a girl you would consider “hot.” The problem is how long are you willing to wait and how much money are you willing to spend for that to happen? I am not one to perpetually go out and blow $150 so that once every six months I can go home with a girl most would say I have no business going home with. Not so much the patience, but the cash involved in doing so is what keeps me away.

It is an interesting conundrum I have discussed with many. Since I have not done the club thing regularly for a long time, my skills and confidence are more or less honed to bars. But what if I had spent all that time in clubs? Would my skills and confidence be better applied to the pseudo-models who hang out there? Would I still have massive frustration hanging over my head as I walk down Ocean Drive this week? Would I still feel like I’m missing out? Or would I realize that I had wasted a lot of money and gone a long time without sex when I could have stuck to the bars and done a lot better? Who knows. Perhaps someday I’ll have enough money to try this experiment out. For those of you going to clubs this weekend, let me know how it goes. Ditto for bars. And if any of you lie, I’m gonna be really pissed.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will prolly get laid more. Rich girls are not as repressed as poor girls. So, actually your cost per bang may be lower.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger aikin said...

Gimme a bar anytime. I'd rather go home alone than kowtow to the pretentiousness of "club" girls and that whole scene.

There's a great Ian Hunter song you really gotta hear that describes all of this. It's called "We Gotta get Outta Here."

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous that guy said...

Here's what you do. Don't hit on them. Just do your thing. When I started ignoring girls I got laid more.

I'll drink in a bar. With friends. It's how we catch up. I hang out in clubs.

Oh, and not to sound "scenester-ish" but it's now Mokaï and Set. Pearl is gonna collapse under the sheer weight of it's own bureaucracy, and Privé is 5 years old already.

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to toot my own horn, but I've done both. In my younger twenties I spent a lot of time in clubs, and actually did bang some very beautiful girls. I actually ended up dating some of them, but it never worked out. It depends on what kind of person YOU are, not the kind of person THEY are. We already know who THEY are. So, you need to ask yourself, "Am I willing to give up great nights hanging with great crowds of fun loving people in order to A) Pay $15 per drink, B) Deal with bouncers who act as if they are ex-Green Berets who get all the chics, when in reality, they play X-box by day and stand by the door for $10 per hour at night, and C) Be confined to dark, loud, overcrowded clubs that look like DO look like shit when they turn the lights on, all to pick up a girl that looks good, but that I'll have nothing in common with? Stick to plan A, which should be finding a great, fun loving, down to earth girl at regular bars, at work, in the supermarket, at the gym., etc. Plus, the girls at the club are just a facade anyhow. When you get them home and in the light, they don't actually look as good.

 
At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
You will prolly get laid more. Rich girls are not as repressed as poor girls. So, actually your cost per bang may be lower.

True dat.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Gland Jupiter said...

It's another world in there. The rules are different, and most center around your income. Unless you're going to become a club guy, it's not worth venturing in, unless to see for yourself that it's not worth venturing in.

Your "cost per bang" will not be lower.

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Gatsby Girl said...

Do you mean the Sandbar on Collins around 67th? I love that place. PS..where do you dive? noticed you were a diver..I am too...just wondering. New to Miami and still figuring it all out

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home