Wednesday, March 07, 2007

These Are Better Days

Life is not always good, but when it is, you gotta enjoy the good times. Now, well now are the good times.

I’m not gonna sit here and brag and tell you about how great my life is. Okay, who am I kidding, yes I am. Last year was an unmitigated disaster. So I think I’ve earned the right to sit here and talk about how good things are going for me right this very moment. I am at a point where I sit back every day and say to myself “Man, THESE are the days.” This year is going a lot like 2005 did: Everything that at first looked like it was going to go badly has turned out perfect.

I am living almost-rent-free in Little Havana, for those who didn’t know. This has been a lifesaver of sorts during times of limited employment. Which are not now. I’m not sure how long I’ll be able to hold onto this gig, but I have enough money saved now that even if it does end I’ll be just fine. I needed a place to move in less than a week when my lease ran out in Palmetto Bay, and a good friend of mine who manages apartment buildings was looking for a place for me in LH. As it happened, this pseudo-caretaker gig was opening up the same week and I took it. I owe that guy so big I don’t know if it can ever be repaid.

I keep getting fired (or phased out) from bartending jobs and land better ones. My first dismissal led me from a slow-moving steakhouse bar in the Suburbs to a hotel on the beach. Where I still wouldn’t have made enough to survive had I had to pay full rent. My dismissal from that location led me to my new job, which pays me more, in cash, working two nights a week than any "real" job I ever had. I typically only have to work on Friday and am set for the week. That’s a lot of beach and blog time.

I am getting paid to write some stuff now. Which is good, as I now have the time to commit to doing so. This also pays fairly well and between that and the bartending, money is not a problem. Even if I do have to pay rent.

I'm surrounded by friends. There are always people around I like to go out with, and very rarely do I have a bad night out. We play on a softball team that, while not the best team, is a lot of fun. We call ourselves "The Tom Imanski All-Stars." But I know that on any given night I can call up somebody I actually enjoy hanging out with and not a "freinds of convenience." And if hes' not there, I have several others to choose from.

The girls are coming easy, for whatever reason. I got dumped at work on Friday by one of the best looking girls I’ve ever dated and the next night another girl bought me a beer for no reason at all. We have been having non-stop animal sex ever since. Damn shame she’s leaving to go home tomorrow, I kinda like her and the sex is phenomenal. But it’s been like this for a while. One girl leaves, another walks in almost the same day.

My future looks bright. There is one, massive, long-shot project in the works that will change my life forever if it materializes. But in the more-realistic short-term, I have learned that a project I undertook last fall has come to fruition and is going to make the next year and a half potentially even better than 2007 has been so far. Sorry for the cryptic details, but I don’t like to talk too much about other aspects of my life.

You have to enjoy the good times, folks. Right now I work one or two days a week, am getting paid to do something I love, make great money and get laid with regularity and variety. Yeah, I know I said I hate bragging, but sometimes you just have to sit back and say “Damn, I have it good.” It won’t be long before I fuck it up and things go back to shit. But for, now, well, for now folks I can’t complain much. Life has dealt me a good hand this round, and I’m going to make the most of it that I can.



7 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger B-Brod said...

Does this entry remind anyone else of when big bird went off on his adventures and decided to write the gang back on Sesame Street in that movie – Follow that bird?
Why do people get shy about saying how well they are doing? I know when friends are having a shitty time they are all to happy to complain about it. But when things are good, they rarely go into much detail. Think about it… when was the last time your friend told you they got a raise at work, or they found $100 bucks or something like that? I think this is better. I’m genuinely happy to hear that someone else out there from the old neighborhood is having a great time with life right now.

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the shit your shoveling?

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Blind Mind said...

To quote Kramer from Seinfeld, "You know who you are...? Even Steven!"

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger ジェネヴィーヴ said...

I wish I could lay around and get paid.

bastard!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger inowpronounceyou said...

I think it's great that you're taking a minute to say "Hell yeah" right now. People always want to give props for the well written "Oh it's so hard to be me right now"

Fuck that. You got where you are b/c you earned it. Good for you.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Manola Blablablanik said...

Good for you, amigo! :-) Hey, we should always reinforce the positive ... thanks for sharing.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Bottoms up to you.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home