Monday, March 26, 2007

To The Anonymous Commenter Who Actually Had Something Useful to Say

A lot of people like to leave little anonymous piles of excrement in my comments box. And that is fine. The events of a year ago when every time I refreshed my inbox I had five more anonymous pieces of hate mail defending the FSU cowgirl was sort of my anonymous-comment baptism by fire. And I’m used to it by now. But occasionally, an anonymous commenter has something to say other than “Fuck off you racist piece of shit,” or “Someone as ugly as you shouldn’t be talking shit” or “You are a pathetic wannabe journalist with no life who is ignorant and stupid.” Occasionally someone takes exception to something I say and they actually are able to make me think about something in a different way. But, for whatever reason, they choose to not give any contact information. And one of those times was this weekend.

In case you missed it I wrote a two-day rant about obnoxious patrons in bars and how much I dislike them. Basically venting on the internet, using a blog for the purpose it was created: To let out your anger in a manner that will not (usually) get you fired. A lot of people didn’t like it, some did. Like most of the stuff I write. The comments were rude and offensive and insulting, which is to be expected, but one person actually said something negative that makes sense. So you don’t have to go look for it, here is the important part…

wow... i was going to put up a comment saying that this post was kinda whiny and pissy and reeks of insecurities associated with being a bartender at a bar where all your clientele are shorter, fatter, less attractive douchebags and tools with much higher paying jobs, but... apparently like 15 people already beat me to it.

i see no need to pile on, so instead, lets try this... try putting yourself in your customer's shoes.

for the most part these guys are gigantic tools who grind away at some gay office job which allows them little to no interaction with anything vagueley resembling an attractice female. they come out for happy hour on friday and just want to get a cold beer, but instead, have to deal with some self righteous bartender who, despite having a job where attractive women actually come to him, still finds something to bitch about and has to turn an ordinary unpretentious kinda bar into a southbeach like 'you'll get served when i feel like serving you because i am the bartender and you are at my mercy' kind of a scene.

i know there are pricks galore out there, but try & remember that some of your customers just want a fucking beer after long week

Whoever wrote this knows me better than he really should. Complimenting me is the first way to get my attention, and being the type of person I am I pretty much disregarded everything in the first paragraph aside from “all your clientele are shorter, fatter, less attractive douchebags and tools.” After that, Anonymous here makes some great points. Most of these people have miserable weeks and just want to cut loose and have fun for a night and my job is to facilitate that. Not to make their one night of fun as miserable as the rest of their week. And so I am making an effort to be nicer to my patrons. To treat them with respect and courtesy until they do the opposite. And I applied it this weekend.

Instead of ignoring people who shout out, I tell them who has been here longer and I will get to them when it is their turn. And not in a mean way, but more an informative way. If someone orders a difficult drink, I simply make it and serve it and let the rest of the bar get mad at them for hogging all of my attention. If someone has a simple order, I often get it to them even if it is before their turn, since I can open two Heinekens in a matter of seconds and collect the cash while I’m doing something else. See, I tried to put myself in their shoes, and so far so good. As long as nobody makes problems, I’m not going to make any either. Did Anonymous change my attitude? Not wholly, but unlike a lot of you who just simply insulted me and walked away, this person actually tried, and succeeded in making me look at things in a different manner. And for that I say “Thanks, Anonymous.” Now if only you’d have had the balls/patience to leave your name.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Joe said...

It was probably Ben, that guys a douche.

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger jc said...

test

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger jc said...

ok cool, I wont be anonymous anymore. I wasnt the anonymous you were refering to, though. I was the other anonymous.

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your take on behind the bar. Now, I am only leaving a quarter as a tip for either pouring a draft beer or opening a beer bottle. I usually leave a $1, but most bartenders around here are so ungrateful and now i have proof they are.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate it when people comment anonymously

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger B-Brod said...

I tip on the level of service only. I've found most other people to have worked in the restaurant/bar service to feel the same. If the person working sucks, is slow, mean [for no reason] etc, they get a shit tip if anything at all. If they know what they are doing then they get a great tip.

Joe - you should be able to tip really well with all that cash your saving by living with mommy. I'll show you what I means to tip well the next time I eat at Casa de Mormon. It could be the first time your mom ever received a fat tip.
(SZHAZAM!)

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger The Diva's Thoughts said...

How mature of you. I'm really impressed. Good job.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home