Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Jungle Fever in the 916

My sister and I, we are very different people. She planned out her whole life at age 15, I have no idea what I’ll be doing 6 months from now. She stays as close to home as possible, I moved to the furthest possible American (theoretically, anyway) city from home as soon as I graduated High School. I like to get drunk on a Monday whenever possible, my sister had about 5 sips off of wine coolers throughout her entire college career. I won’t date anything but white girls and my sister, well, apparently my sister likes the dark meat.

Her first boyfriend, who she was with for 7 years or so was Indian (tech support variety). Cultural differences aside he was a great guy and if your sister has to be getting it form someone, you just hope he’s not a complete asshole. Then I show up at her birthday party on Saturday and I am surprised by a few things. First, my sister’s downing Kettle One like it’s water, second there is an 11-year-old serving us drinks for tips, and third there is a strange black man in the house. Actually, my time in Miami has warped me so much that I thought he was Dominican until the next morning when my dad clarified it for me, but it turns out that my sister’s new boyfriend was, in fact black. I really shouldn’t be surprised: she’s a tall white girl with a big ass, so it really kinda screams “Black Man Magnet.”

Now I have always viewed interracial dating in much the same way I view homosexuality: Perfectly fine if that’s what you’re into, but it’s just not for me. So, again, this is really not an issue to me at all. Further, this guy was a two-sport athlete at Stanford and is probably smarter than me and my sister combined. So really I couldn’t care less if he was colored bright green. If I think about it, given our families’ genetic make-ups they could probably produce some solid D-1 athletes, so I wish my sister and her new man the best. But it just furthers to illustrate that in the types of people we are attracted to, much like in pretty much everything else in life, we do not exactly see eye to eye.

Or perhaps we are actually becoming more alike than we think. Somewhere between teaching said 11-year-old to make a Mojito and doing jello shots with my fifty-something aunt, I spent a good part of the night with this girl, who I had not seen since out faux-date three years ago. All else aside, I can safely say she may be the one Latin girl I have ever me that I would date with no hesitation. Not sleep with, mind you, but actually date. And no I’m not just saying this because I don’t want to piss off my sister. Again. I suppose it doesn’t hurt that I had no idea she was Hispanic for the first year I knew her. Or that her Spanish is probably worse than mine and when I told her I was on “Sabado Gigante” her response was “What the Hell is that?” But nevertheless she is fourth generation Mexican-American but that fact really never crosses my mind. We have never both been single at the same time nor do we even live on the same coast anymore, so this is more of a hypothetical than anything else, but it does show me that as much as I like to write about my “whites only” policy when it comes to women, there are exceptions to every rule. Or maybe my experience on Sabado Gigante has taught me to relax those rules a little bit.

Between this and my sister finally finding a little bit of her nasty side, perhaps we are both moving more towards the center of our two extremes. I got to get completely obliterated with her for the first time in 8 years this weekend, and apparently this was not a once-a-year occurance. She has gotten her first ticket and enegaes in some other activites that just make me smile. I guess as Rocky Balboa once so beautifully put it “If I’s can change, and youse can change, maybe we all can change.”

And for those who like to netstalk me, the entire photo gallery from the party can be found here.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 3:43 PM, Blogger The T Bag said...

yea yea yea. whatever. When you're back in the 916, we all know there's only 1 thing worth writing about...so how was Sutters Fort?

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger aikin said...

It's been my experience (living in both California and Texas before Miami) that Mexican-American girls in general are much different from the Miami born and bred Latin girls. Their overall attitude about things is different in a better way. Despite things I've learned since living here, I'd still date a Mexican chick. Latina? Not so much....

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was a pretty well written and funny entry. i especially liked:

(tech support variety).

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Some Catchy Chic said...

Hmm...I used to hate blond guys. I thought they were all ugly. Now I couldn't care less. I'm kind of curious why you dislike Latinas...? Is it the ones who have their little Miami accents and are really annoying? Or all of them in general?

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Manola Blablablanik said...

Your sister is gorgeous and your aunt very funny!

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Moi said...

PS- The girl on the right in photo #3 is absolutely not a size 6! She must not be from California...

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Some Mexican Americans in LA and especially Texas, are 3rd and 4th generation removed from immigrants. I've met a few that can't speak a lick of Spanish.

Your Mexican chick is hot -when she's not doing the crazied mouth wide open expression. Tell her is not a good look. Reminds me of that runaway bride woman in Georgia.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger ANON1 said...

1. I want to bang your sister, have her call me.

2. I want to bang your lady friend, have her call me.

3. You need to write about other topics. Comments have dropped because your topics consist of: sex, spanish people, sex, spanish people and sex.

4. I may be making a comeback.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger ANON1 said...

Oh and Manola BLALALALA looks like Amy Fisher:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://ken_ashford.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/tdy_lauer_amyfisher_041001300w.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ken_ashford.typepad.com/blog/2006/01/index.html&h=222&w=296&sz=15&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=kKkhAb4uKj0muM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Damy%2Bfisher%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DGWYA,GWYA:2005-44,GWYA:en%26sa%3DX

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger White Dade said...

Anon1 - WELCOME BACK!!! Sorry I was out of town when you texted me the other night, as you have probably figured out. You make an excellent point and sadly I am running out of ideas. Got any for me?

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger ANON1 said...

Politics, economics, sports???

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger ANON1 said...

Or rip on other lame bloggers like Playtah, Jada, Rachel...

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home